Wednesday, August 26, 2009

An Ode to Dirt

Just like beauty, dirt is in the eye of the beholder. I can't tell you how many phone calls I've been on where the caller insisted his/her house wasn't 'all that bad'. I know for a fact it is or they wouldn't have looked up the Clean Reflections number to schedule a cleaning! No matter the level of tolerance, they had reached their particular limit.

I'll admit to being a bit spoiled. Since it's my business, I have my home cleaned regularly and it's a luxury I'd hate to relinquish. I never have to worry who is at the door ... the house is always guest-ready (at least the front rooms anyway). But you know, there are a few tricks that can help you keep your home guest ready too.

The bedroom(s) and private bath(s) need not always be sparkly clean ... just those your friends will likely use. That could mean only one room and one bath need to be really, really cleaned regularly. Leave the stove top, the mold in the master bath or the kitchen floor for a day you need to work off steam. And develop a keen eye for tools. They are after all what set the professionals out front of the pack. If you don't like to scrub, experiment with cleansers until you find one that does the majority of the work for you. If you don't like to dust, try a new microfiber, lambswool or feather duster ... whatever fits your hand comfortably. One with a telescoping wand is especially handy for ceiling fans, vents and door frames. I find it's always more interesting with a new gadget (see my blog on the Sh-Mop!). Steamers work well on some grime.

Now vacuums are another animal. They tend to be expensive and hard to trade in, so buy carefully when it's time. I personally prefer an upright that has attachments on board. I've seen the new "ball" upright that looks like a good design but I haven't tried it. Our maids love the little "Henry" vacs. The Henry is a cute little red cannister vac decorated with eyes and a nose/hose that is made in England. I saw it being used inside Windsor Castle in fact one Sunday when I was watching a documentary on the Royals on public television. Whaddya know, we have a couple of British 'stars' on our team! At any rate, they all will eat dirt for you and as you know, there's never a lack of it in our lives like it or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment